E-3 Visa – How to Apply For and Renew Your E-3 Visa

e3 visa renewal

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you buy something through them, you don’t pay a cent more, but we earn a small commission that goes towards the running of this blog.

Your employer must file Form ETA-9035E (Labor Condition Application) on your behalf with the US Department of Labor’s office of foreign labor certification. The LCA will have a validity date attached to it and your visa will be linked to that.

How long does an E-3 visa last?

An E-3 visa is a popular option for Australians wishing to work in the US. Many US-based employers are willing to sponsor employees on this visa, as it does not require a costly H-1B petition.

Instead, the employer submits a Labor Condition Application to the Department of Labor to demonstrate that the job is in a specialty occupation and that they could not hire qualified US workers for the position.

Once the LCA is approved, a worker may apply for an E-3 visa at a US Consulate abroad. Once the visa is issued, it is valid for two years.

Employees can also switch between companies during their visa period as long as the new employer files a new LCA and starts employment within 60 days of the old LCA expiring. This is a great advantage of the E-3 visa compared to other work visas such as the H-1B. Furthermore, E-3 visa holders can renew their visas indefinitely as long as they continue to meet the non-immigrant intent requirements.

Can I renew my E-3 visa in the U.S.?

The E-3 visa is an excellent option for those looking to work in the United States. This visa offers a simplified application process and allows for multiple extensions.

However, applicants should be aware of the limitations associated with this visa. There is no limit on the number of times an E-3 visa can be renewed, but it cannot be extended for more than two years at a time.

In order to apply for an E-3 visa, the employer must file a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor. This document must prove that the employer could not find a qualified U.S. worker for the position and that the foreign employee will receive a fair salary.

Those applying for an E-3 visa inside the United States should know that USCIS now offers premium processing. This can speed up the processing time significantly. Those who wish to renew their E-3 visa while outside the United States will need to travel back to their country of residence and make the application at the consulate.

Can I renew my E-3 visa at the consulate?

The E-3 visa is a great option for Australian nationals who need to stay in the United States for longer periods than the traditional two-year work permit. It also allows for the spouse and children of those in E-3 status to work. Plus, unlike the H-1B visa, there are no annual numerical limitations on the E-3 visa.

If you need to extend your current E-3 visa, the process is relatively easy. You can file a petition directly with USCIS or apply at a consulate overseas if you are currently in the United States.

However, applying at a consulate is only an option if you are in a nonimmigrant status that tolerates a change of status. If you are in the visa waiver program (ESTA) or another type of nonimmigrant status that doesn’t allow for a change of status, you must leave the United States and go to a consulate abroad in order to trigger E-3 status.

Can I renew my E-3 visa abroad?

E-3 visa holders can renew their visas at US Consulates abroad, but the process can be more complicated. For one, US Consulates may be unfamiliar with the E-3 visa, particularly in small consulates. This can introduce uncertainty into the renewal process and increase chances of a visa denial.

The process for renewing an E-3 visa abroad requires submitting additional documents and attending a visa interview. During the interview, a US Embassy official will evaluate your application and ask questions about your job in the US, your education, and your intentions to return to Australia. It is important to remember that the E-3 visa does not allow for immigration intent, so if you have any plans to remain in the United States permanently, your application may be denied.

To avoid this risk, it is best to apply for an E-3 extension before your visa expires. This allows you to continue working while the USCIS makes a decision on your visa petition.