E3 Work Visa For Australians in Specialty Occupations

e3 work visa

The E-3 visa is available for Australian citizens who wish to work in a specialty occupation in the US. It also allows spouses and children to work in the US on derivative visas.

The process involves a lot of documentation and a visa interview at the US Embassy or Consulate. The following is a general timeline of the process:

Job Offer

The E-3 visa is a US work visa for Australians in specialty occupations. It is available to people with a bachelor’s degree and a valid job offer from a US company in the specialty occupation. The US employer must file a Labor Condition Application (LCA) and submit proof that the salary meets or exceeds the prevailing wage for the occupation. The visa holder must also have nonimmigrant intent, meaning that they intend to return to Australia after the termination of their employment in the United States.

The first step in obtaining an E3 visa is to find the right role. It is important to find a job that qualifies as a specialty occupation. You can start your search by checking the Occupational Information Network database. Unlike the H-1B visa, the E3 visa does not have a quota so you won’t need to worry about competing in a lottery. You can apply for the visa directly at a US Consulate in your home country or while you’re already in the United States with valid nonimmigrant status.

Labor Condition Application (LCA)

The LCA is a part of the non-immigrant visa process. It is a simpler, quicker and cheaper process than labor certification, which is required for immigrant work visas (EB).

The US employer files the LCA with the Department of Labor and provides evidence that no qualified US worker could be found to perform the specialty occupation at the prevailing wage.

It takes less than seven days for the government to approve or deny an LCA. During this period, the company must post the notice of the LCA in two conspicuous locations and share it with the union, if any, and employees.

The company must also file Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, with the USCIS. This outlines your employment goals, education and experience. It also explains how you will contribute to the U.S. economy and community. The petitioning company also submits proof that it has the financial resources to pay you the prevailing wage for your specialty occupation.

Letter of Acceptance

Once you’ve been offered and have accepted a job with your US-based employer, the E3 visa application procedure can begin. Your employer must first file an LCA (ETA Form 9035) with the Department of Labor to acquire approval to hire you. The LCA certifies that your employer could not find a qualified US worker for the position, and that you will be paid at least the fair prevailing salary for your occupation.

Once you have received your LCA, you can submit it with the rest of the required documents for your e3 visa application. These include:


The E3 visa is exclusive to Australian citizens, and it’s a great option for companies looking to relocate their top talent to the US. It’s important to understand, however, that it does not lead to a green card and that it does not tolerate dual intent.

You’ll receive strict instructions upon booking your interview and will need to follow these closely. They’ll include specifics on what you can and cannot bring with you, the time of day you’re supposed to show up, and a whole host of other important details.

Getting your visa can feel like an epic undertaking, but it’s not as complex as you might think. It’s worth familiarising yourself with the process, and if you need to, it’s always worth enlisting the services of a professional.