How Early Can You Arrive Before E3 Visa Starts?

how early can you arrive before e3 visa starts

The E3 visa is an excellent choice for Australians looking to work in the US, offering family members to join and being available outside of H1B lottery periods. An annual numerical limitation of 10,500 rarely gets reached making this visa popular with both newcomers and existing foreign workers alike. Most petitions filed with DOL for this type of visa were approved while unlike its H1B counterpart it may also be applied for directly at a US Consulate abroad.

Step one in obtaining an E-3 visa is finding employment with a US-based employer; this can be accomplished from Australia via Skype interviews. Once employment has been confirmed, ISSS can assist with filing the LCA; this can take up to seven days from when all required data has been uploaded into DestinyOne by an applicant and once certified by DOL it will be sent out immediately to them.

Once they receive an LCA, E-3 applicants should prepare for their visa interview by gathering all the necessary documents such as their employment offer letter, tax forms, I-9 form and any relevant certificates. When applying at a consulate abroad – due to wait times at many US embassies – scheduling their interview as early as possible is advised.

At their scheduled interview, applicants will need to present their passport, visa and LCA for review. Once granted an interview date and approved LCA are provided by an employer, applicants can enter the United States to start working for their employers; visas typically last two years with renewal options every two years; it should also be remembered that only specific employers listed on an LCA will qualify for working visas.

If an employment ends, an E-3 worker has two options if their current position ends: either leave the US permanently, or have their new company file an LCA and petition for them. Transferring from an E-3 visa to a Green Card requires legal intervention as well as filing of separate petitions.

Spouses of E-3 visa holders can apply for a B-2 Cohabitating Partner Visa, which does not permit work but gives equal rights as their partner. Australians living together in the US who wish to gain equal status can make changes of status within the US but these will not qualify for premium processing; it would be faster and simpler if their spouse applied at an overseas US consulate instead.