How Early to Renew an E3 Visa?

how early to renew e3 visa

The E3 visa is the preferred US work visa for Australian professionals and offers several advantages over other types. Notably, applying for this type of work visa doesn’t involve lottery entries – you can submit applications year round! Unfortunately, getting one requires extensive paperwork and an interview – to avoid lengthy delays it’s wise to plan ahead when it comes to filing your application.

How Early to Renew an E3 Visa

You should apply to renew or extend your E-3 visa prior to its current employment end date as this visa only permits for limited stays in the U.S. If you fail to do so on time, your stay could end abruptly and serious repercussions could ensue.

Your E3 visa renewal in the United States can be accomplished by filing an amended petition with USCIS and receiving approval before your current work authorization lapses. Alternatively, extending it by applying at one of our embassies abroad can also work; this process may be time-consuming as you must wait for an appointment with an Embassy or consulate representative to do so.

When renewing an E3 visa in the United States with its original employer, premium processing can speed up the application process significantly. Unfortunately, however, processing times can still vary significantly due to factors like pandemic delays and embassy backlogs.

As an alternative, you may also apply for a green card while still in the United States using E3 visa without dual intent requirements or changing your immigration status. As the process can be rather complex, it would be advisable to speak to an immigration attorney first before beginning.

E-3 visa holders may bring their spouses and children as dependents to the United States as dependents, without restrictions to work or study activities; just make sure all members of your family possess identical visa types as the main worker.

Additionally, in order to qualify for an E-3 visa you must demonstrate that your job meets both academic and occupational criteria. Your employer is required to file a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor to substantiate they are paying an appropriate salary and offering an equivalent benefit package as would be available in the US. If your specialty occupation requires licensure, you must provide evidence that either it has already been obtained or will do so within an acceptable time frame after entry to the United States. Spouses and children can apply for work authorization using Form I-765: Application for Employment Authorization; USCIS typically approves these applications for 240 days of continued authorised employment.