How Long Does it Take to Get an E3 Visa?

E3 visas are work visas designed for Australian citizens to engage in specialty occupations in the United States. E3 visas are open to professionals with at least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience who have secured employment above the prevailing wage for their occupation, and an offer of work in that profession. E3 holders may bring spouse and children along, and can extend their stay by up to two years before becoming eligible for permanent residency status.

The E-3 visa application process can be long and involves extensive supporting documents. To best take care of yourself during this time and seek support if needed. Furthermore, hiring a professional to guide through this process could also prove valuable.

After we receive your E-3 application in DestinyOne, ISSS will begin processing a Labor Condition Application (LCA). This typically takes at least seven days. When approved by DOL, we will email a copy back to you. When this step has been completed successfully, scheduling your visa interview at one of the US embassies/consulates abroad could take anywhere from weeks to months depending on wait times at each consulate.

Once your visa interview is over and approved for work in the US, you’ll receive an E-3 visa stamp to enter and begin work immediately. However, it must be noted that this stamp only applies for the job specified on your LCA – not any changes of jobs or sectors; should you wish to switch careers, an LCA must be filed with your new employer or H-1B petition filed separately with USCIS.

If you wish to extend your E-3 visa beyond its two-year initial period, an approved LCA and new petition with USCIS are both necessary. Furthermore, should your worksite change, new LCA’s must be filed prior to starting at each location; alternatively you can file for change of employer at an American Consulate abroad.

If you want to change status from another visa type to E-3 status, your US employer must file and get approval from USCIS before attending your interview at an US Consulate. This process differs from filing inside the US as it may involve additional steps such as providing proof that your current visa has expired as well as additional costs like international airfare – generally speaking however it tends to move more quickly than within.