How to Get an E3 Visa – 5 Things You Need to Know Before Applying

If you are an Australian citizen who has been offered an employment opportunity that requires at least a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent), to start working in the US, obtaining an E3 visa may be your solution. While this visa has its own set of advantages over others, its requirements must still be fulfilled before being eligible. In order to help guide Australian citizens through this process, Galstyan Law’s expert immigration attorneys have put together this article detailing five things you must know prior to making an application for one of these visas.

1. Your employment must fall under a specialty occupation. An E-3 visa is intended for individuals working in occupations which require specific and highly specialized knowledge which could only be acquired with significant prior work experience or through earning at least a bachelor’s degree in that field.

Note that any degree or equivalent experience must relate directly to the position being offered, and no other worker in the United States could perform it at a similar salary level. In order to be granted E-3 visa status, employers must demonstrate a legitimate need to hire foreign national employees by meeting Labor’s LCA requirements.

2. Your employer must fulfill educational and experience requirements. An E-3 visa is only granted to individuals who have been offered full-time work in a specialty occupation by a US employer, who also outline not only which degree(s) is necessary for this occupation but also their salary offer; this will ensure they won’t become an added expense or take lower wages than US workers in similar roles performing similar responsibilities.

3. Employers Must Submit an LCA to the DOL

4. Your family must demonstrate its financial capability of supporting itself financially in the US.

Once an E-3 visa has been issued, its validity lasts two years but can be renewed indefinitely. Holders are permitted to bring spouses and children with them into the US where they may apply for Employment Authorization Document (EADs) that allow them to legally work.