Renew E3 Visa Where?

The E3 visa is a nonimmigrant work visa available to Australian citizens who have received employment offers from US employers. It has an initial two year duration with extensions being possible after that. You must demonstrate your intent of only staying temporarily in the US; USCIS provides step-by-step instructions for applying for this type of visa.

Filing an I-129 petition to change your status can either be completed inside the US, or from abroad at one of its consular posts. Filing outside of the country often offers more convenience and can often be completed more quickly than filing from within.

Your application must include Form I-129, which contains information about yourself and the company that is sponsoring you, signed by their authorized representative (typically an attorney but it can also be someone else), with supporting statements showing proof that they can hire you as well as copies of passports for both.

As well as your standard application documents, you must present evidence that proves your education and work experience qualify you for this position. Typically this evidence takes the form of degree certificates or transcripts which need to be evaluated by an organization approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

Proof that you are an Australian citizen will also be necessary. To do this, provide a valid passport which has at least six months left on its validity and complete and submit a questionnaire to USCIS.

Finally, to be granted a visa application in Australia, you will need to demonstrate a genuine intention of returning once your employment is finished. Your interviewer may ask about this aspect of your application; for this questioning to pass successfully you’ll need evidence such as family, property and savings that connects you to Australia.

If your intention is to return home after working in the US, renewing your E3 visa at your consulate of origin is wise. This will give you peace of mind knowing you can return when your work there has concluded.

However, you should be mindful that applying at a consulate outside your own country carries risks. Consular officers at smaller posts may be unfamiliar with the E-3 visa and this could result in delays or refusal – particularly problematic if you have dependents back home. You should seek advice from an experienced immigration lawyer before making your decision; they will be able to advise on your best options and risks as well as help prepare you for interviews and ensure all documentation is submitted on time.