Renewing E3 Visa – Working in the US For Up to Two Years

renewing e3 visa

The E-3 visa allows you to work in the United States for up to two years. The visa can be renewed indefinitely as long as the LCA remains valid. Your spouse and children can also work on this visa.

You can apply for a new E-3 visa at a US Embassy or Consulate abroad. However, this option can take 2-3 months (premium processing is not available) and can make it harder to travel internationally.


The E3 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows Australians to work in the US for up to two years. However, if you wish to stay longer than this, you will need to submit a petition for change of status using Form I-129. This will require you to provide documents, such as the LCA certification and letters from previous employers. You will also have an interview with a US Embassy official to evaluate your case.

The good news is that the E3 visa can be renewed indefinitely as long as you and your employer comply with the rules. In addition, unlike other work visas, the E3 visa holder’s spouse can also work in the US. USCIS also recently announced premium processing for E3 visa extensions, which reduces the wait time from months to weeks.


The E-3 visa is available to professionals from Australia who want to work in the US. To qualify for the visa, you must have a firm job offer from an American employer and complete all the necessary documents. You also need to provide evidence that your education and employment credentials meet the visa’s requirements.

If your work requires licensure, you must prove that you will be granted a license within a reasonable timeframe after entering the United States. The visa is also not intended to lead to permanent residency, so you must demonstrate that you intend to return to Australia upon the termination of your employment.

You must attend an interview at a US Embassy or consulate to get your E-3 visa. During the interview, a US official will evaluate your qualifications and work experience. They will ask you questions about your job in the US and your intentions to return to Australia. Then, they will issue a visa stamp (they call it a sticker) in your passport.


The E3 visa allows Australian nationals to work in the United States as specialty workers. It is a good option for those looking to avoid the lengthy internal filing process required of other work visa classifications. In addition, it is not subject to quotas and can be renewed indefinitely.

In order to apply, you must have a job that requires a bachelor’s degree in your field of expertise and pays at or above the prevailing wage. Additionally, you must show that you have strong ties to Australia and intend to return home upon completion of your employment in the US.

Once you have your employer submit Form I-129, you must pay the fee of $315 and obtain a receipt. You will also need to pay a lawyer’s legal fees, which vary widely depending on the complexity of your case. Finally, you will need to provide proof of your identity and a valid passport.


The timeline for obtaining an E-3 visa varies depending on where the Australian citizen is applying. The US Embassy in Australia requires applicants to complete an online nonimmigrant visa application (DS-160) and then schedule a visa interview with a consular officer.

The DS-160 form requires the applicant to enter basic personal information and then choose an interview location. The interview is a critical part of the process and is where the Consular Officer decides whether or not to grant the E-3 visa. It is important to have an immigration lawyer prepare you for the interview and help you submit all of the required documents.

Once the interview is completed, if the E-3 visa is approved, the applicant will receive a new visa label in their passport. This label will have a validity date of up to two years. The new visa will allow them to work in the United States and it will also give their family members permission to join them.