What is E3 Visa Category?

what is e3 visa category

If you are an Australian citizen interested in working in the United States, one of your best options for doing so may be applying for an E-3 visa. This category has many advantages for both U.S. businesses and Australian employees alike. Read on to gain more insight into what exactly an e3 visa category entails – eligibility requirements, benefits, steps and conditions!

What Is an E-3 Visa? An E-3 visa is a multiple entry work visa designed for Australian citizens qualified in “specialty occupations.” Initially issued for two years and renewable indefinitely. Furthermore, this visa does not count towards the limit of 10,500 visas granted each fiscal year and spouses and children can travel with E-3 workers as dependents.

Eligible workers must possess either a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent work experience in their specialty field, as well as be offered employment that pays at least the prevailing wage for their occupation in the US. Their employer must submit a Labor Condition Application (LCA) to DHS before starting work here in America. This LCA must first be approved by DHS before any worker can commence employment here.

Once their LCA is approved, employers can file a petition with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for E-3 visa status for their employee. This petition may be submitted either within the US or via U.S. consulate abroad; alternatively if their employee already resides here under another nonimmigrant classification that allows a change-of-status petition may file this change-of-status petition with Vermont Service Center or directly overseas Consulates.

E-3 visa holders enjoy several distinct advantages: minimal application fee, fast processing times and seamless transitions between employers. In addition, this visa does not require lottery entry; it is available year-round with a 60-day termination grace period.

However, unlike its H-1B counterpart, the E-3 visa does not support dual intent and therefore should not be pursued if seeking permanent resident status in the US; it can however be extended indefinitely if certain criteria are fulfilled. Your children over 21 may also join you in the US on an E-3D visa, providing another great option if you want your family to remain close while pursuing career goals in America. Once you become a permanent resident, your family can apply for their green cards together. To start this process off right, contact an experienced immigration attorney – they’ll help you understand all of the available options and guide you through the application process! We look forward to speaking to you about this exciting journey!