Where Can I Stamp My E3 Dependent Visa?

The E-3 visa is a nonimmigrant work visa available to Australian citizens seeking work in the US. With an initial maximum duration of two years and renewable indefinitely, this status also permits family members (spouse and children) to work and attend school while being one of few US visa types that allows dependents work and study simultaneously. Furthermore, this visa type often proves faster and simpler to secure than more well-known US work visas such as H1B.

To qualify for an E-3 visa, applicants must possess at least a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent in specialty occupation) as well as three years of work experience in that occupation field and a valid LCA filed by their university. This document must include specific job duties and qualifications necessary to perform them as well as an offer of employment from one of UW departments or sponsors and salary offer from UW as well as statement stating worker has met academic and occupational requirements to perform job duties; additionally if licensure or official permission are needed then all requirements must also be fulfilled by applicants before being considered eligible.

Once approved, E-3 visa holders will need to visit one of the U.S. Consulates abroad in order to have their passport and entry documents processed. A fee must be paid in order to process the application; processing times typically take from 2-4 weeks (depending on which consulate they visit for an interview).

At an E3 visa interview, all family members must present passports, proof of relationship (marriage or birth certificate for spouse and certificate of birth for children), interview waiver letter from university, letter from UW verifying employment and completed Form DS-160 online nonimmigrant visa application to consular officer for review. These interviews may take place anywhere worldwide and applicants should consult an immigration attorney in preparation and submitting all the appropriate documents at time of interview.

Once upon a time, E-3 visa holders who wanted to switch jobs within the United States needed to visit a consulate outside of their own country for visa renewal if they wanted a new stamp in their passport – making moving between employers very challenging. But as of September 9, 2016, this rule has changed and now an E-3 holder may change his or her status within their home country without needing to visit one outside.

Prior to filing, it is strongly advised that you consult with a US immigration attorney in order to submit all of the appropriate documentation and have an increased chance of success. Our OISS team can assist with document preparation as well as helping prepare you for the DS-160 interview. Please reach out for further information or set up an appointment – we look forward to working together!